Activists associated with the Eretz Chadasha party, about whom I’ve been posting over the past week, have just told me about a new and outrageous development in today’s election, for which polling began a few hours ago. Voters in communities including Holon, Jerusalem, Tel Aviv and Tiberias have entered their polling stations and when they seek to vote for Eretz Chadasha, the ballots for the Party are missing. When they question the voting officials they’re told that they were ordered by the Knesset elections committee to remove voting materials for the party because it officially withdrew from the race. I should add that I haven’t yet been able to corroborate these charges by independent journalists or eyewitnesses, but I’m working on securing proof of the activity.
I don’t know enough about Israeli election practices to know if it would even be permitted for a party to withdraw from an election on Election Day. At any rate, this is clearly a sham and a fraud. What’s worse is that the fraud has been perpetrated not by Nixon era dirty tricksters but by an official body of the Israeli Knesset. It’s an outrage. They know that Eretz Chadasha is surging in the polls. They fear if it enters the Knesset it will expose the dirty little secrets of both politicians and oligarchs. That the 99% will learn more than they should about the way the other 1% lives. Therefore, they will do all in their power to deprive the Party of its rightful place in the Israeli parliament.
I know that tens of thousands of Israelis are turning to this blog today because they country deprives them of the chance of hearing election surveys which may inform them of the surge I mentioned above. Now they will know of the shameful behavior of the Israeli election committee. I hope two things will happen: voters will be so enraged they will vote in even larger numbers for the Party; and that the committee will be shamed into stopping this abortion of democratic rights.
Israel, you thought you had a democracy. What do you have? An election run by the Israeli equivalent of Ceausescu or Pinochet. Shame.Buffer