Thanks to Zvi Solow for sending along these two hilarious pieces of political satire from the Friday Israeli papers:
More Laws That Ehud Barak May Support
1. Death penalty for traitors
2. A quota for non-Jews in universities.
3. A Basic Law: The security minister will always be named Ehud Barak.
4. A law to limit birth among non-Jews.
5. A law to imprint the national anthem on everyone’s chest.
6. Forbidding of the use of the words “Naqba”, “Muhammad” and “Al Aksa”
7. A basic law: All [Israeli] wars are just wars.
–Haaretz Friday Supplement, 15/10/10, p.11
Fascism Will Not Pass…or It Will
Poll results: 80% of the population define themselves as democrats, while 55% support limiting freedom of expression [even if there is no security threat]. Only 63% support the right to vote for Palestinian Israelis. 26% support “a strong leader” who will make decisions instead of the government & the Knesset. Among immigrants from the former Soviet Union, it’s 53 %.
–Yediot Shabbat Supplement, 15/10/10, p.6
Silverstein has published Tikun Olam since 2003, It exposes the secrets of the Israeli national security state. He lives in Seattle, but his heart is in the east. He publishes regularly at Middle East Eye, the New Arab, and Jacobin Magazine. His work has also appeared in Al Jazeera English, The Nation, Truthout and other outlets.