Facebook Group Calls for End of Gaza Siege, International Investigation of Flotilla Massacre
I have just created a new Facebook group protesting the Gaza flotilla massacre. I hope you will consider joining and circulate word to everyone you know to ask that they do so. We must rally to demand justice and accountability for the events of last night. Here are the demands I’ve included as part of the group’s mandate:
1. an independent UN investigation under supervision of Security Council with the power to investigate possible war crimes and report results to the Council for referral to International Criminal Court.
2. the U.S. government condemn unequivocally the attack on a Turkish ship in international waters; and join other EU countries in withdrawing our ambassador.
3. Israel immediately end the Gaza siege
4. all flotilla members be immediately released and that bodies of the killed be immediately returned to their families for forensic autopsies to determine the manner and cause of death.
5. all nations whose citizens were killed, injured or detained withdraw their ambassadors until these conditions are agreed to by Israel.
I intend that the group’s members share information, research, events, etc. in order to defeat Israel’s wish for impunity.
Please write to the State Department and White House to echo these demands.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Official: As many as 9 Americans on Gaza relief flotilla (cnn.com)
- Amy Goodman: Interview: At Least 15 Dead After Israel Attacks Gaza-Bound Aid Flotilla (huffingtonpost.com)
- Blogosphere Reactions to the Gaza Flotilla Tragedy (rabbibrant.com)
3 thoughts on “Facebook Group Calls for End of Gaza Siege, International Investigation of Flotilla Massacre – Tikun Olam תיקון עולם إصلاح العالم”
Comments are published at the sole discretion of the owner.
“Helsinki Principles on the Law of Maritime Neutrality”
5.1.2(3) Merchant ships flying the flag of a neutral State may be attacked if they are believed on reasonable grounds to be carrying contraband or breaching a blockade, and after prior warning they intentionally and clearly refuse to stop, or intentionally and clearly resist visit, search, capture or diversion.
5.1.2(4) Merchant ships flying the flag of a neutral State may be attacked if they
(a) engage in belligerent acts on behalf of the enemy;
(c) are incorporated into or assist the enemy’s intelligence system;
(e) otherwise make an effective contribution to the enemy’s military action, e.g., by carrying military materials, and it is not feasible for the attacking forces to first place passengers and crew in a place of safety. Unless circumstances do not permit, they are to be given a warning, so that they can re-route, off-load, or take other precautions.
5.2.1 Visit and search
As an exception to Principle 5.1.2. paragraph 1 and in accordance with Principle 1.3 (2nd sentence), belligerent warships have a right to visit and search vis-à-vis neutral commercial ships in order to ascertain the character and destination of their cargo. If a ship tries to evade this control or offers resistance, measures of coercion necessary to exercise this right are permissible. This includes the right to divert a ship where visit and search at the place where the ship is encountered are not practical.
Blockade, i.e. the interdiction of all or certain maritime traffic coming from or going to a port or coast of a belligerent, is a legitimate method of naval warfare. In order to be valid, the blockade must be declared, notified to belligerent and neutral States, effective and applied impartially to ships of all States. A blockade may not bar access to neutral ports or coasts. Neutral vessels believed on reasonable and probable grounds to be breaching a blockade may be stopped and captured. If they, after prior warning, clearly resist capture, they may be attacked.
This is horseshit. The blockade in itself is not legal. So Israel has no right to enorce it using any of the provisions above. There is no formal declaration of hostilities between Israel and Gaza. And even if Israel wishes to unilaterally declare there is no international body would accept Israel’s claim. This is totally bogus hucksterism.
Thanks, Richard. I just invited more than 800 people.